30 Eylül 2012 Pazar

Cream of Cauliflower – Come for the Soup, Stay for the Bacon Gremolata

To contact us Click HERE
We’re heading into the heart of hot soup season, and thiscream of cauliflower will ward off autumn’s chill with the best of them. I’m abig fan of the cauliflower in all forms, but this simple soup may be myfavorite application.

Of course, human nature being what it is, I wasn’t satisfiedwith just the soup, and wanted to garnish with something new and exciting.Unfortunately, I couldn’t think of anything, so I decided to follow that age-oldadvice which says, “when in doubt, bacon.”
I’ve garnished soups like this with bacon before, but nevertried toasting breadcrumbs in the rendered fat. Not surprisingly, it workedvery well, and the additions of lemon zest and parsley elevated things evenmore. The only problem with a recipe like this is the next time I’m served acream of cauliflower, no matter how good it is, I’m going to be a little sadthere’s no bacon gremolata floating on top.
By the way, I realize there are no breadcrumbs in a truegremolata, but I thought it sounded kind of cool, and besides, I’ve never beenthat big on respecting the sanctity of culinary terms. I was going to go with“baconized breadcrumbs,” but that sounded a little too much like moleculargastronomy, which is much worse.
If you’re not into eating animals, some diced shiitakemushrooms and a pinch of smoked paprika would be a great substitute in thegremolata. You’d also need to add some olive oil to replace the rendered baconfat, but you probably knew that.
Now that I think about it, that vegetarian version soundspretty amazing as well. Maybe next time I’ll skip the bacon and…oh, who am Ikidding? Anyway, I hope you give this delicious fall soup a try soon. Enjoy!

Ingredients for about 8 servings:1 onion, chopped1 rib celery, chopped 1 tbsp olive oil3 cloves garlicsalt to taste1 large russet potato, peeled, quartered2 heads cauliflower, trimmed1 quart chicken broth1 quart water1/2 cup creamcayenne to tasteFor the gremolata:4 strips bacon1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder