25 Eylül 2012 Salı

Lambage Rolls! Lamb & Rice Stuffed Cabbage Leaves with Almonds and Currants

To contact us Click HERE
My love of cabbage rolls is deep and unconditional. I almostalways make the same version, based on my Aunt Angela’s famous recipe, but oncein a while, just for the hell of it, I’ll use lamb instead of beef. 

I love lambburgers and lamb meatballs, so it’s no surprise that I love lamb-stuffedcabbage rolls, and I’m happy to report that these particular “lambage” rollswere the best non-beef version yet!

I remembered a middle-eastern restaurant Michele and I usedto frequent, which served a lamb meatball stewed with tomatoes and spices, andserved over a rice pilaf studded with almonds and currants. I really loved thatdish and tried to incorporate those elements into these cabbage rolls.
I loved the results. Big, bold flavors, yet not too heavy,and like all cabbage rolls, these were very, very comforting. I used a prettylean grind for the lamb, but ideally the butcher will give you something closeto a 80/20 lean-to-fat ratio.
As far as the rest of the stuff, you’re on your own, and asusual I’ll ignore most of the “can I leave out the [insert delicious, totallynecessary ingredient here]” questions. You are the boss of your cabbage rolls,so act like it. Anyway, I hope you share my love of cabbage rolls, and if youdo, I really hope you give this version a try. Enjoy!

Makes 8 Lambage Rolls1 lb ground lamb1 cup rice1/4 cup butter2 tbsp olive oil1/2 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed 2 tsp salt1 tsp black pepper1 tsp cumin1/2 tsp cinnamon1/4 tsp cayennepinch dried oregano1/4 cup packed Italian parsley1 tbsp dried currants2 tbsp sliced almonds1 cup tomato puree3 1/2 cups chicken broth1/2 onion sliced1 head cabbagesalt and pepper to tastefeta and parsley to garnish, optional

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder