14 Şubat 2013 Perşembe

Brain Food: Five Strategies for the Wahls Diet

To contact us Click HERE
-5- Strategies to Eat More Brain Food - Adopting the Wahls Diet for One Month - http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/2013/01/five-strategies-for-wahls-diet.html


Over the course of the last couple weeks I have developed strategies to make sure I get the nine cups of veggies, one teaspoon of minerals and  four ounces of grass-fed meat or wild seafood a day.  I thought I ate a lot of veggies before, but this much requires some planning on my part.

1. Start the day with a lot of produce and some seaweed.

 

This could be something like the breakfast skillet, or a smoothie.  The video below is Dr. Wahls making a smoothie of 1 cup kale stems, 2 cups orange juice, 1/4 teaspoon of powdered kelp and a banana.

2. Soups are wonderful ways to fit in more vegetables and broth.  


Cabbage Soup - Soup is a great way to get minerals, veggies and grass-fed meat for the Wahls Diet
One cup bone broth counts for the day's mineral requirements.  I like cabbage soup (must get this recipe up soon!), butternut beet soup, and beef mushroom and barley soup.  


3. Salads feel more like a meal with a cooked component.  


5 Strategeis for the Wahls Diet - Warm Chick Pea and Butternut Squash SaladI've had a hard time thinking of a salad as a meal.  However, they are an excellent way to eat the three cups of greens. I find that adding a cooked something gives a warm contrast to the cold leaves and makes the salad feel like it has more substance.  
Last night for dinner we had grilled wild salmon on a bed of lettuce and spinach with grated carrots, sliced radishes and warm pan roasted butternut squash with garlic.  Another example would be the warm butternut and chickpea salad.

I just posted  the recipe for the Sardine Avocado Citrus Salad which has sauteed onions and warm sardines.  It's good, I promise and the sardines count towards the one serving of organ meat a week!

4. End the day with a sweet fruit smoothie.  


Fruit Smoothies are a great way to get more colorful produce into your Wahls Diet - http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/2013/01/five-strategies-for-wahls-diet.htmlNow I'm not saying I don't miss baked desserts or ice-cream but a smoothie is a nice way to make sure that you've got all the bright colors and have a little something sweet.

The Wahls Diet includes three cups of bright colors per day;  one cup of each of red, orange/yellow and blue/black.

I've taken to making a smoothie of frozen strawberries, peaches and blueberries with some 100% grape juice concentrate.  I adjust the ratio of fruits to make sure I have gotten all my bright colors.  Usually I am missing the blue/black so I make sure to add a full cup of blueberries.  

5. Grain and sweet craving can be assuaged with granola and dark chocolate.  


For sweet cravings when eating by the Wahls Diet try naturally sweetened granola and dark chocolate chunks. - http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/2013/01/five-strategies-for-wahls-diet.htmlI'm not completely sure what Dr. Wahls thinks about dark chocolate, but I have seen cocoa powder in her recipes so I think as long as it is not sugary chocolate we are in the clear.  I enjoy the granola recipe with a sprinkling of high quality dark chocolate.  It tastes like a chocolate chip cookie.

There you go.  How do you make sure you eat well every day?

My other posts in this series:

Brain Food: Adopting the Wahls Diet
Brain Food: Breakfast Skillet Inspired by Dr. Wahls
Brain Food: Warm Butternut Chickpea Salad - Recipe
Brain Food: What I ate today on the Wahls Diet
Brain Food: Sardine Avocado Citrus Salad - Recipe

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder