14 Şubat 2013 Perşembe

Brain Food: What I ate today on the Wahls Diet

To contact us Click HERE
Top (left to right) Breakfast egg skillet,  half an avocado with carrots
Middle: Green tea, fruit smoothie, granola, dressing for salad, more tea
Bottom: kiwi and grapes, sardine avocado citrus salad

I have been following the Wahls Diet for two weeks now so I thought I would share what a day's worth of food looks like for me now.  
  • 3-4 cups of green tea
  • 1 cup of granola - I modified my recipe to use coconut oil instead of butter
  • Breakfast egg skillet - I only had one egg today so I added some left over roast chicken
  • Kiwi and grapes for a snack
  • Avocado and carrot for another snack
  • Sardine Avocado Citrus Salad - this recipe will be my next post
  • Strawberry, peach and blueberry smoothie for dessert - I omit the yogurt from the linked recipe

Green tea.  I drink a lot of green tea partially because it is winter and because  Dr. Wahls recommends beverages that have lots of antioxidants and anti-inflammation nutrients.  Green tea is one of them.  She also recommends matcha, ginger tea and yerba mate.   
All together my daily food counts as : 
  • 4 cups of sulfurous food
  • 8 cups of bright colors
  • 4 cups of leafy greens
  • 1 cup of other vegetable (avocado)
  • 1 teaspoon minerals (there is dulse seaweed in the breakfast skillet) 
  • 5 ounces of grass-fed meat and wild fish
Today I am a bit of an over achiever because I've got 17 cups of vegetables and fruits.  The Wahls Diet only asks for nine.  I've had trouble hitting the mark in the past, so I guess I over compensated.  You could take out the snacks and still be fine. 
I should note I am a nursing mama so I might eat a little more than most.  I'm not sure.  All I have for comparison are several example menus in Minding My Mitochondria 2nd Edition.  
Here's one of those sample menus: 
  • Smoothie made with almond milk, cocoa, cinnamon, flax meal and peach
  • Spinach salad with green beans and grapes
  • Curried peanut butter, greens soup with bok choy salad, flax oil rice vinegar salad dressing and bone broth.
I imagine that everybody can find a way to work the Wahls Diet into their lifestyle. Next week I'll share some strategies I've come up with to make sure I get what my body needs to maximize my health.



My other posts in this series:


Brain Food: Adopting the Wahls Diet
Brain Food: Breakfast Skillet Inspired by Dr. Wahls
Brain Food: Warm Butternut Chickpea Salad - Recipe
Brain Food: Sardine Avocado Citrus Salad - Recipe
Brain Food: Five Strategies for the Wahls Diet

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder