17 Haziran 2012 Pazar

Blue Ribbon Corn Relish - Preserving The Harvest

To contact us Click HERE


Tangy and sweet this homemade corn relish is a go-to item in my pantry.  It has been incorporated into many meals over the last year.  My favorite use was to add a couple dollops to sour cream and enjoy it as salad dressing.  I've also put it on burgers and mixed it into chicken salad.  It was delicious with Thanksgiving turkey.

Not only does this corn relish bring a burst of texture and flavor, it adds gorgeous color.  The turmeric deepens the sweet corn to a lovely gold, add in the red flecks from the bell pepper, and you've got a beautiful spoonful.

I plucked this recipe out of the July 2010 Better Homes and Gardens.  I made it because I thought it was pretty and since I had green pickles and red tomato sauce I thought it would add another color to my cabinet.  I didn't really care if it tasted good. 

I have no idea what blue ribbon it won, but I can see why it won.  It is both pretty and tasty.  The only thing I changed was to reduce the amount of celery seeds from two teaspoons to just one because they were over powering.  I'm not a big celery fan.

I made this recipe last year, but I wasn't sure if I liked it so I didn't share it with you all.  Now I am sure.  This relish will liven up your meals as a topping or a mix-in. 

I have to make more while there is still sweet corn to be put up.  Here's the recipe, enjoy:


Blue Ribbon Corn Relish from Better Homes and Gardens
16-20 ears of fresh sweet corn (8 cups)
2 cups water
3 cups of celery (6 stalks)
1 1/2 cups chopped red sweet pepper
1 cup chopped onion (2 medium)
2 1/2 cups vinegar
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons pickling salt
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 tablespoons cornstarch

  1. Shuck the corn and make sure you get all the silk off the ears.  Cut the corn off the cobs, do not scrape the cobs.  Measure 8 cups of corn and put them in a sauce pan with 2 cups of water.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes or until the corn is almost tender.  Drain the water off. 
     
  2. In the same pot, combine the cooked corn, celery, peppers and onion.  Stir in vinegar, sugar, mustard, pickling salt, celery seeds and turmeric.  Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir together cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water; add to corn mixture.  Cook, stirring until slightly thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more.  The mixture will start to thicken. 
     
  3. Meanwhile, prepare jars by sterilizing them.  Ladle the hot relish into jars.  Leave a half inch head space.  Wipe the jar rims with a clean towel and top with lids and bands.  Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 15 minutes. Start timing when the water returns to a boil.  Remove jars; cool on wire racks and then store in a cool, dark place.   Refrigerate after opening. 
How would you use this delicious corn relish?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder