25 Haziran 2012 Pazartesi

Gluten Free Cherry Scones

To contact us Click HERE

It’s time for the June Improv Challenge: Cherries and Almonds.   For anyone just tuning in, the Improv is a monthly cooking challenge where all members are given the same two ingredients and asked to come up with something delicious.  (See my Improv page for details about joining and upcoming themes).  It’s so much fun to see what the Improv-ers come up with!!

This month marks a breakthrough for me.  I finally ventured out on my own to do some original gluten free baking.  Oh yeah.  The craziness is starting! Kristen has overcome her initial fear of gluten free flours.  There is no telling what you may see in the future!

I have a recipe from my great grandmother for Welsh griddle scones.  They are fantastic and they are gluten full and off limits.  I have never blogged about them….I will remedy that sometime, but in the meantime, I wanted some scones that I could eat.

This challenge seemed like the perfect time to make some…though frankly, as usual,  I went through many options before I decided on scones.   Now let me tell you gluten full eaters something you may not know about non-wheat baking.  It is different.  Seriously different.  I have read that you need to give yourself at least six weeks between giving up wheat flour foods and trying any gluten free baked goods.  I believe that just may be true.   I tried gf bread right after I switched.  I did not like the texture at all.  However, six months into the new routine, I am fine with it.  Heck, I am now eating hotdogs on rice cakes, so you can tell how much my life has changed.  So this recipe may just be for the gluten free.

Gluten Free Cherry Scones Print
Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/4 cup garfava flour
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/4 cup potato flour
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3 Tbsp butter, room temperature
  • 3 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 2/3 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
Instructions
  1. Whisk together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  2. Cut in butter and oil with a fork, pastry blender or fingers.
  3. Add cherries and walnuts.
  4. Combine coconut milk, extract and eggs with a fork, slightly beating the eggs.
  5. Add to flour mixture, stirring until dough forms.
  6. Divide dough in half.
  7. Pat each half into a domed circle.
  8. Cut each into four pieces.
  9. Place on baking sheet (I use a silicone liner)
  10. Bake 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
2.2.7




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder