15 Haziran 2012 Cuma

A Strawberry Rhubarb Custard Pie Worth Brawling Over

To contact us Click HERE
Because I grew up listening to baseball on the radio, whenever Iheard the word “rhubarb,” I wouldn’t think of something edible and deliciouslike this amazing Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, I’d think of fights.
Back in the early days of radio, when they wanted to get thesound effect of an angry mob, they’d tell the performers to repeat the word“rhubarb,” over and over. It sounds heated and contentious, yet the listenerdoesn’t hear any specific words.
Baseball announcers of the same era began to call baseballfights “rhubarbs,” since they sounded so much like those radio effects. Ididn’t learn about this until recently, and it made me think of all the gamesI’d listened to during all those summers, and how never once when I heard“rhubarb,” did I think of pie.
That was until I got this wonderful recipe from my motherPauline, who I believe got it from my Aunt Angela. As you longtime readersknow, both are fantastic bakers and while I love all their pies, this might bemy favorite.
So, when Matt Cain drills Matt Kemp in the back this summer,and he charges the mound prompting an ugly benches-clearing brawl, and theplay-by-play guy says, “we’ve got ourselves a real rhubarb now,” I will thinkof this pie. This delicious, rough and tumble pie. Enjoy!

3 cups sliced rhubarb1 cup quartered strawberries3 large eggspinch of fresh nutmeg3 tbsp milk3 tbsp all-purpose flour1 1/2 cups sugar*I didn’t mention, but I added a very tiny pinch of salt
1 tbsp butter for "dotting"
pie dough for one 9-inch crust 
For the glaze:
2 tbsp jam with 1/4 tsp water, warmed in microwave

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder