20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba

Moroccan Stir Fry

To contact us Click HERE

Three of my sons went to Boy Scout camp last week.  It was peaceful at my house, but they had an adventure unlike any they have ever had.  I am not going to tell you where they went, but it might possibly be the worst camp in existence.  My kids have been to five camps in three states.  My husband went to another four as a kid and as an adult leader, so I am using our personal experience as the basis for my judgement.  My poor Comedian called me Monday night, after arriving Sunday evening, asking me to come get him.  He actually lasted until Friday.  The other two came home with the group on Saturday.

First off, it’s hot here in Florida.  We are lucky that we live near the ocean at the northernmost part of the state.  As you travel south, the temperatures rise and the humidity gets worse.  Of course there was no AC at the camp, but that was to be expected.  Secondly, I affectionately call Florida the land of Jurassic bugs.  There are some crazy jungle-sized six legged creatures in this state.    This camp was no exception.  The boys met some new species last week.   Thirdly, there was no swimming pool at this camp.  That meant that the boys had to use a lake for all water activities: fishing, swimming, boating, etc.  The camp hired ‘gator catchers to come out and get rid of all of the big ones the week before camp started.  While the boys were there, an eight food alligator was removed.  Another boy caught a four foot alligator while he was “fishing.”  I hope it counted as one of the fish required for that merit badge!!  I am just a little crazy about alligators and my kids swimming with them.  I think the worst part about the camp, however, was the food.  One of my kids cut into his meat and it was green….as in rotten.  On another day, the boys waited 45 minutes in line to eat and when they got to the front of the line, the cafeteria had run out of food.  Seriously.  I am very disappointed with the caliber of this camp, but the worst part is that these young guys are not going to want to go next year unless they go far, far away from this particular place.

When we picked the kiddos up, we went straight to Steak N Shake.  Poor guys, they were starving.  The Engineer might have even stooped to eating mushrooms, he missed home cooking so much!!  Or maybe not.  He really hates mushrooms.

They would have had no problem eating this stir fry, though.  With the basic ingredients in an Asian stir fry like beef, vegetables and rice, I took it a totally different direction with the spices.    I used a lot of “C” spices; cinnamon, cayenne, coriander and cumin with a few additional ones thrown in, too.  The results were different and delicious.

Moroccan Stir Fry Print
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lb top round steak, sliced into thin 1″ long strips
  • 1 bag broccoli slaw or 3 cups chopped vegetables
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup white raisins
  • 1/3 cup chopped cashews
  • cooked rice
Instructions
  1. Combine oils in a skillet.
  2. Brown meat on high heat.
  3. Turn heat down to medium high, add vegetables and spices to meat, stirring until soft.
  4. Add raisins and cashews
  5. Serve over cooked rice.
Notes

If you like this with more sauce, combine 2 cups beef broth and 2 Tbsp cornstarch, then add before raisins and cashews. Stir while the sauce thickens.

2.2.7

 


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder